1. total or partial darkness; dimness.
2. a state of melancholy or depression; low spirits.
3. a despondent or depressed look or expression.
–verb (used without object)
4. to appear or become dark, dim, or somber.
5. to look sad, dismal, or dejected; frown.
–verb (used with object)
6. to fill with gloom; make gloomy or sad; sadden.
7. to make dark or somber.
Dictionary.com UnabridgedThese are a couple of examples of the quality of people he has around him. Is that the same tie he has on in both pictures.