Tuesday, May 27, 2008

On the Color of Ink

English dandy Wilfred Gowers-Round (1845-1950) tabulated the traditional (Edwardian) significance of various writing-ink colors:
  • BLACK • the ink of gentlemen
  • DARK BLUE • the ink of schoolchildren
  • LIGHT BLUE • the ink of ladies of quality
  • BURGUNDY • the ink of country squires and clergymen
  • SCARLET • the ink of stock market and city men
  • TURQUOISE • the ink of ingenious and creative minds
  • GREEN • the ink of knaves and the insane
  • BROWN • the ink of tradesmen and clerks
I prefer Black ink myself.


H/T Pat.

1 comment:

  1. I prefer black and red. I guess burgundy is closest to red.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Where are the Photo credits?

I find most the images uncredited on random sites, but I will add credits if someone lets me know who the has the rights to the image.

Boarding Party Members