Sunday, April 26, 2009

Chernobyl

On this date and time back in 1986 the Chernobyl Nuclear Power plant exploded.


These some of the initial signs of radiation sickness.
  • Metallic taste in your mouth.
  • Weak feeling.
  • Vomiting.
  • Nausea.
  • Diarrhea.


Link  This is an interesting link called the Chernobyl Legacy. It is a multimedia presentation with his thoughts of what he saw when he visited the site and surrounding areas.


Link  It is Russian site but has some great still photos of the day the Pripyat was stopped in it's tracks along with pictures of the selected exclusion areas.

Link  This one has some different pictures and the locations of where the picture were taken. This is a very picture intensive site that is well worth the time if you have it.

Nuclear Nightmares  I found this one at PixelPress. This site has some pretty graphic pictures of mutations.

Pluto's Realm  It is interesting with a lot of descriptions of places and things.

Chernobyl in pictures  Here is someone's trip to Chernobyl in 2008.

Link  This link has 319 photos of the Chernobyl and Pripyat areas.

Link  This link has great explanations of of sights and places.

Abandon Places  Another one with tons of pictures.


The last film of Russian filmmaker Vladimir Shevchenko.

9 comments:

  1. cool links.

    It's an interesting topic. I was in 10th grade drafting class when the news hit.

    Since it was in the middle of the cold war we were wondering about how many dead ruskies there would be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good links, thanks! Cherynobl is still in danger, as they just did a quick fix and didn't really take proper care to seal everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the post. I learned a few things

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was only 5 or so when it happened, so I have little memory of the story. And thank goodness! If it happened today I would have a nervous breakdown.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good links. I was young when it happened, and I'll admit to not knowing as much about it as I should.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1986.
    Interesting year.

    1/28/86 - the space shuttle Challenger blew up

    4/26/86 - Chernobyl melted down

    2009 - forever known in history as the year Obama blew up and melted down our economy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. * Metallic taste in your mouth.
    * Weak feeling.
    * Vomiting.
    * Nausea.
    * Diarrhea.
    Sounds like a typical hangover...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds more like the day after the last presidential election.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was stationed in what was then West Germany. We were told to stay indoors as much as possible. It was a depot for nukes where I was stationed.F@ck that! We were all gonna end up glowing in the dark either way. At least the Army didn't make us take some kinda shot for that like they did back in 1976 or '77 for swine flu. I thought I was gonna die within 24hours after taking that one!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Where are the Photo credits?

I find most the images uncredited on random sites, but I will add credits if someone lets me know who the has the rights to the image.

Boarding Party Members