- a. A formal expression of preference for a candidate for office or for a proposed resolution of an issue.
- b. A means by which such a preference is made known, such as a raised hand or a marked ballot.
3. A group of voters alike in some way: the Black vote; the rural vote.
4. The act or process of voting: took a vote on the issue.
5. The result of an election or referendum.
6. The right to participate as a voter; suffrage.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition