Thursday, May 22, 2008

Book Meme

This is by way of RT. (Sorry it took so long but life interrupts yet again).

"Books are scarce in the world. They are illegal in some provinces. They are not easily replaced, if not impossible to replace if lost in many if not most circumstances. If you can replace a book or buy one, it is usually through the black market at astronomical costs that you cannot afford. Yet you have been able to maintain one of the best collections in the world. If your entire library was about to burn up and you could only have one book to take with you other than the Bible, what would that be and why?"

Simple Rules:

Answer the question.
Offer one quote that resonates with you.
Tag five people whose response is of genuine interest to you and inform him or her that they have been tagged.
*and it cannot be an entire series of something, that’s cheating.


The quote I offer is this one: (Huck was never one to know when to stop lying). This may seem a tad long but it is worth the read.

Well, Mary Jane she lit out the back way, I reckon; because nobody see her go. When I struck Susan and the harelip, I says:

"What's the name of them people over on t'other side of the river that you all goes to see sometimes?"

They says:

"There's several; but it's the Proctors, mainly."

"That's the name," I says; "I most forgot it. Well, Miss Mary Jane she told me to tell you she's gone over there in a dreadful hurry- one of them's sick."

"Which one?"

"I don't know; leastways I kinder forget; but I think it's-"

"Sakes alive, I hope it ain't Hanner?"

"I'm sorry to say it," I says, "but Hanner's the very one."

"My goodness- and she so well only last week! Is she took bad?"

"It ain't no name for it. They set up with her all night, Miss Mary Jane said, and they don't think she'll last many hours."

"Only think of that, now! What's the matter with her!"

I couldn't think of anything reasonable, right off that way, so I says:

"Mumps."

"Mumps your granny! They don't set up with people that's got the mumps."

"They don't, don't they? You better bet they do with these mumps. These mumps is different. It's a new kind, Miss Mary Jane said."

"How's it a new kind?"

"Because it's mixed up with other things."

"What other things?"

"Well, measles, and whooping-cough, and erysiplas, and consumption, and yeller janders, and brain fever, and I don't know what all."

"My land! And they call it the mumps?"

"That's what Miss Mary Jane said."

"Well, what in the nation do they call it the mumps for?"

"Why, because it is the mumps. That's what it starts with."

"Well, ther' ain't no sense in it. A body might stump his toe, and take pison, and fall down the well, and break his neck, and bust his brains out, and somebody come along and ask what killed him, and some numskull up and say, 'Why, he stumped his toe.' Would ther' be any sense in that? No. And ther' ain't no sense in this, nuther. Is it ketching?"


I decided on "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn".

It never fails to bring out my inner child. It seemed so much more of a simple time. I also enjoyed the dialect it was written in.

This is a very neat Meme, I don't tag people often, So I won't this time but if you would like to to let me know so I can see what you might read and why.

2 comments:

  1. I used to teach Huck Finn. Next time you read it, think of the irony in the book: Jim is free the entire time they go down the river, yet he's still enslaved. Meanwhile, when the book was written, Jim Crow was taking shape and the so-called freed slaves were never really free...kind of like Jim.

    It is a very good book, and a very interesting story to analyze. It's full of satire.

    Sadly, there a lot of people who have a poor view of the book, because they haven't really read it and have not taken the time to understand the purpose of its creation. But, what should we expect from a society mired in ignorance, with a penchant for impulsive reactions, rather than thought and reason before action. (Wow, I wrote that like a for-real adult.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although, it is a shame that I used a period to end a question instead of a question mark. Meh.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Where are the Photo credits?

I find most the images uncredited on random sites, but I will add credits if someone lets me know who the has the rights to the image.

Boarding Party Members